Today is my birthday!
And because I’m officially turning 24 today (everybody seems to think I’m a lot younger!), I wanted to take a moment to share with you 24 things I’ve learned in the last 24 years as an introverted young woman in this world. May this inspire you to never stop growing and take every chance you can get to make yourself happy during this life!
1. It’s okay to worry and overthink, but you can alter the direction of your thoughts! “What can I learn from this? What’s an alternative right now? Can I change my situation?” 99% of the time, focusing on the light at the end of the tunnel helps so much.
2. Your words matter so much more than you think! More so, the words you hesitated to speak and never ended up saying out loud are the words with the most meaning and also the ones that should’ve been spoken.
3. Start looking for the beauty within yourself! This goes beyond your looks. Look deeper! Your personality is what makes you beautiful, so get to know every single facet that makes you who you are and promise me, that from now on, you will fall in love with a new part of yourself every day.
4. You are the writer of your own story! Don’t make yourself one of the side-character in your own book. You are the author, and you can ALWAYS change the plot. Time to introduce yourself as the main character!
5. Don’t make yourself small! People love to overlook or ignore us introverts. It is crucial that we don’t encourage anyone to treat us this way by making ourselves smaller than we are. You matter just as much as everybody else!
6. Everybody is a product of their environment and experiences! Don’t hold grudges against people that did you wrong in the past. Don’t give their poor past decisions the power to affect your current present nor your future.
7. Taking care of yourself isn’t egoistic! Don’t listen to people that tell you that a good friend has to be available at all times. That is simply not true and only shows how bad of a friend they are.
8. Learn to love yourself first before trying to get into dating! Just as much as expecting people to see the beauty in you, you can also not expect anyone to fall in love with you when you don’t even love yourself. It’s a harsh truth, but the moment you’ll start loving yourself, you’ll understand the meaning behind this. Time to start seeing yourself how lovable you are and always have been!
9. Not everybody will like you & that is totally fine! Even the kindest people in this world have haters. Remember: Most people dislike other people because they have something that they don’t have. Most of the time, it has nothing to do with you. You probably also don’t like every single person you’ve ever met and that’s fine, too.
10. Nobody’s opinion matters more than your own! What bothers me the most about societal expectations is that they trained everybody to think that society’s opinion is to be put first. When in reality, there is no such thing as an “opinion hierarchy”. You do what’s best for you, always!
11. Invest in yourself because you deserve it! It doesn’t matter if it’s something material or maybe just treating yourself to a TV Show and delicious food: JUST DO IT. You deserve all the enjoyment this world can offer, and if a little gift to yourself puts a smile on your face, why not do it?
12. Allow yourself to take breaks! How can you expect yourself to be productive when you don’t even have the energy to hold a pen? Exactly! So stop fighting your needs & get yourself the rest you deserve. Trust me, you’ll be much more productive afterward!
13. Don’t compare yourself to others, but especially not to extroverts! Comparing is always a bad and toxic move. You’re unique in every single way, and every path is different. Nobody can compare to you, so don’t compare yourself to others as well. (I know, it’s hard, but practice makes perfect!)
14. Do more of the things that actually make you happy! This goes from doing the things that bring you real joy in your free time to stop filling your calendar with stuff that stresses you out.
15. Do less of the things that make you unhappy! Let me repeat that: DON’T fill your calendar with stuff that stresses you out and makes you unhappy. Life is way too short for that!
16. Take your mental health seriously & ask for help when you need it! I’m so happy to see that society becomes more aware of the benefits that come with therapy. Everybody should go to threapy, especially those who think they don’t need it. Never be ashamed of getting support, you deserve all the help you need. And the fact you’re taking your mental health seriously and thinking about therapy shows how strong you truly are!
17. “Missing out” doesn’t exist! If you didn’t want to do something, how can you miss out on it? I think we introverts have a perfect sense of what brings us joy and those that won’t. So don’t let anyone make you feel bad about your decisions.
18. Learn to communicate your needs and boundaries! A healthy introvert knows what is good for them and what boundaries have to be put in place to protect their needs. Have an honest conversation about them with our loved ones, and I am sure they will listen!
19. Don’t be afraid of cutting toxic people off! I know we think that these toxic people we have surrounded ourselves with are the only “friends” we deserve. But in reality, the moment those people are gone, you’ll realise that you deserved so much better & are better off without them.
20. Never stop working on yourself! I know we introverts self-reflect a lot, but many of us get stuck in unhealthy overthinking spirals. Self-doubts are normal, and nobody is perfect. So let your self-doubts be your motivator!
21. Celebrate your wins, no matter how big or small! Every win is a reason to celebrate. Look at you! You managed your way through so many tough situations. You came so far – all on your own. Thank yourself for every little step you’ve made so far and for every little step you’ll make in the future!
22. It’s okay to feel different; it’s what makes you authentic! Being different is just another word for having a unique personality. Don’t let that discourage you or make you feel bad about yourself. On the contrary, it’s a huge compliment, because let us be honest here: All the people who do “fit in” are the same.
23. Dare to step outside of your comfort zone! You’ll be amazed at how fast your comfort zone can expand when you decide to take the plunge. One step at a time. Listen to your inner voice!
24. Follow your dreams! We introverts often think that we won’t be able to achieve something because we’re too quiet, too average, too shy or too reserved for it. Sure, not everything will work out, and some things aren’t meant to be, but if you never try, you’ll simply never know. Give it a shot! I’m sure with a little bit of creativity and imagination, everything is possible.
I hope for another year full of epiphanys, positive changes and lots of growth. I don’t know what the future holds for me, but I will be damned if I won’t make the absolute most of it.
Thank you for being here and following along with me on my journey. I truly appreciate your support. This community of fellow introverts from all around the world means the absolute most to me and I could’ve never imagined to be the one to build this positive and safe place for all of us.
I’m so thankful that I get to share my thoughts, feelings and experiences with you this way. I can’t wait to have even more interesting and thoughtful conversations with you in the future.
Lots of love,